On Sep 28, 2012, at 1:54 PM, Jonathan Vanasco wrote:

> I would really like to make a feature request for a `not_in_` operator for
> sqlalchemy.sql.operators.ColumnOperators
>
> there are at least 2 ways to make a valid query right now :
>
>     filter( ~ table.column.in_( (1,2,) ) )
>     filter( sqlalchemy.not( table.column.in_( (1,2,) ) )
>
> so there isn't any problem in missing or broken functionality
>
> this is just a fairly common comparison (in my experience) , and when looking
> through code or trying to regex queries out of source code during debugging /
> testing sessions it becomes a bit of a pain to find these.
>
> it would just be a lot easier to maintain code if i could search for
> instances of column.not_in_ , than having to find the instances of column.in_
> and then filtering down to one of 2(+?) options someone might have used.  (or
> vice versa)
>
> this probably holds true for other comparisons too, this one was just really
> irritating me this week.

there are some "not" operators but currently they arent attached to
ColumnOperators.  You can get them from sqlalchemy.sql.operators and they are:

notin_op(), notlike_op(), notilike_op()

so like:

notin_op(left, right)

as far as sticking them on ColumnOperators I'm a little concerned about more
than one way to do it, but I suppose the analogue is in python:    "not x is y"
vs. "x is not y".   So sure.   but id rather keep on 0.8 for this as a lot of
other aspects of operators are changing.