Ahah excellent, thanks! Googling "sqlalchemy history table" / "sqlalchemy
audit table" and searching the docs but those matches don't show up :P

Glad to have one way of doing it ... I don't think this uses triggers and I
wonder if this can be optimized much by making use of triggers. If I happen
to explore and implement that route I'll post the approach here for future
searchers. Any pointers on a trigger implementation from anyone also
appreciated.

Cheers