The latter was my favorite, but this seems to fail with

[...]
  File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/SQLAlchemy-0.5.8-py2.7.egg/sqlalchemy/sql/expression.py",
 line 1390, in in_
    return self._in_impl(operators.in_op, operators.notin_op, other)
  File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/SQLAlchemy-0.5.8-py2.7.egg/sqlalchemy/sql/expression.py",
 line 1409, in _in_impl
    for o in seq_or_selectable:
TypeError: '_TextClause' object is not iterable

Any idea how to fix this?

yeah....its that "0.5.8" that's your problem on this one :).   That version is
three years old.   text() inside of in_() started working in the 0.6 series.

oh yes, I see, we are far behind ... seems like we definitely have to migrate ... Thanks for your help anyway, the other solution with creating temporary table finally worked even in my antique version of SA!

Thanks a lot,

Ralph