this will need lots more work on my end and may not be possible without major
caveats.  once you use connection.begin(*xid), the cx_oracle connection goes
into a new mode that seems to render the usual DBAPI contract of "implicit
begin" permanently broken.   I've spent about three hours trying to get the
right combination of begin()/commit()/rollback() calls into the cx_oracle
dialect, but the test suite still easily puts the connection into a permanently
broken state as soon as it attempts to use the DBAPI connection traditionally
after a two-phase operation.