On 1.1.2013 21:57, Werner wrote:
> On 01/01/2013 19:34, alonn wrote:
>> Actually I don't know what's causing the corruption but the "."  looks
>> like the only unvalid one in a varchar field.
> Why would a "." in a varchar field not be valid?  Just consider
> something like "Firstname MidInitial. LastName", why would that not be
> valid in a varchar column?
>
> I am pretty sure that the "." is not your problem.
>
> Provide more details and hopefully someone can help you identify your
> real problem.

My bet is that when OP talks about "data corruption", he actually does
not mean that the database crashed and the data files are somehow damaged.

I believe the issue is that the application assummes that the varchar
column does not contain some characters (e.g. a dot) yet the users
managed to get around the application-level checks and inserted such
values into the database. So the data are invalid from the application
point of view, but the database is perfectly healthy.

But that's something the OP needs to explain.

Tomas