On Jan 30, 2013, at 8:47 AM, Hans Meine wrote:

> I am still not sure if this confusion isn't a bug or weakness in SA that
> should be either fixed or handled with a more explicit error message.

the usage pattern as is will likely never be feasible;  "SELECT * FROM A, B
JOIN C on <onclause>", and then to say "JOIN A to D" onto that implies the
statement would then be "SELECT * FROM A JOIN D  <onclause>, B JOIN C
<onclause>", it's not a good practice to structure the statement like that in
the first place and the Query object has enough complexity going on just to
keep track of a single chain of joins.   You can structure a statement like
that with plain select() and join() constructs though, not sure what query
planners will think of it.

> E.g. the join() could raise an error instead of silently throwing the first
> part of the FROM clause away.  (OTOH, I don't see why the latter has to
> happen
> in the first place.)

OK so that part I'm a little curious about as well, from what I recall I didn't
quite see what aspect would be removing the "A" from the FROM clause as the
join() you added didn't specify "A" as the "left" side in the usual way, so a
short test case that is actually runnable and illustrates a working model would
be of help here.