On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 12:55 PM, Michael Bayer <mike...@zzzcomputing.com>wrote:

> On Jan 31, 2013, at 12:47 PM, Jorge Flávio Aquino da Costa wrote:
>
> yeah that's where the MSSQL dialect is doing things that aren't going to
>> work with QODBC.   I don't have a quick fix for this for you, it would
>> require creating a new dialect that doesn't perform these particular
>> startup queries.   unless you want to get into doing a little bit of
>> programming, you might have to work directly with pyodbc for now.
>>

>   Michael and Scotty,
>
>   I´m facing a similar problem, but regarding to Intersystems Caché DB. I
> can connect through pyOdbc and proprietary cacheodbc driver for win64. At
> the moment, there´s no one single dialect of Caché DB for SA and that
> forced me to build one. I also didn´t find any documentation about how to
> do it so I tried to modify the existing mssql that used pyodbc too.
>
>   I could figure some quirks out such as how to find the default schema
> but hardcoded others (currently loged user). The mssql dialect was renamed
> to cachedb and its new reencarnation managed to connect to my test database
> with a relative success (few non fatal errros). But, as of now, the
> compiled sql followed MS SQL conventions and surrounded the column names
> with a '[' as in:  "*Select [Person].[Name], [Person].[Phone] From
> [dbo].[Person]*" where it should be "*Select Person.Name, Person.Phone
> From dbo.Person*".
>
>   The lack of documentation didn´t help me to discover where and how to
> alter that decoration behaviour not supported by Intersystems Caché. Any
> help about this problem? Is there a howto in creating SA dialects from
> scratch? Is this a better aproach?
>

> people usually create dialect by following the examples of the existing
> ones.   The quoting behavior is controlled by the IdentifierPreparer
> provided by the dialect and is fairly self-explainatory.

  Thank you so much, Michael. It worked fine! Currently it shows me a few
warnings about getting schemas and server version which I shall figure it
out later. Raw Selects and Selects through Sessions also work.

  I really tried to find that quotations marks (that I knew was hardcoded
somewhere but Eclipse didn´t find them. Maybe I did something wrong :( ).

  At the moment, I´ll keep improving the dialect to remove those errors and
warning messages so it could be used by others interested in Caché
development. Any tips regarding where I should start? What´s the least
common denominator in dialects? Using MS SQL as my template is fine? Once
again, thanks for your help.