I don't know what "wx.GetApp().ds" is, but a "commit", assuming this is a
Session, will return the current connection back to the connection pool, and
any session changes stay with that connection.  Using the Session again will
pull up a potentially different connection.

if you want to make per-connection changes across multiple transactions, you'd
need to hold onto the connection for that scope:

conn = engine.connect()
conn.execute(" set whatever state you need here")

session = Session(bind=conn)

# use the session, commit, whatever

session.close()

conn.execute("reset whatever state you need here")

conn.close()  # returns DBAPI connection to the connection pool and/or closes
the DBAPI connection