On May 30, 2013, at 7:16 AM, Ladislav Lenart <lenart...@volny.cz> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I occasionally see DetachedInstanceError in apache error log of my web app.
>
> According to
>
>    http://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/rel_0_8/orm/session.html#expunging
>
> an object is detached when:
>
>    1. It is expunged.
>    2. The session is closed.
>
> I use expunge() only in some of my unit tests, never in the production code.
> Thus the first option is out. The error occurs on various places but I think
> the
> session *should* be still opened when it happens. Can an object become
> detached
> any other way?

if you mark it as deleted and commit the session, or if it is pending in the
session and the session is rolled back.

> Do you have any idea how can I diagnose this problem given that:
> * It happens sparingly and in random places?
> * I am unable to reproduce it at will?
>
> The web app is running cherrypy under apache.

get some more diagnostics around that exception, and take a look at other
aspects of the object's state:

- does it have a primary key, or was it pending?

- was it deleted ?

- where is the code that is accessing this object, and is the owning session
still in effect at that point, or if not why?