> On 06/04/2013 10:46 PM, Michael Bayer wrote:
>> There's a long standing ticket to add support for comments, at least at the
>> DDL level.   I don't think anyone has looked into what level of support we
>> get from the various backends as far as reflection.
>>
>> So its something the library has room for, but it's an open item for now.
>> The four-year-old ticket is http://www.sqlalchemy.org/trac/ticket/1546.
>>

>> On Jun 4, 2013, at 8:33 PM, Warwick Prince <warwi...@mushroomsys.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Michael
>>>
>>> I'm toying with the idea of embedding some metadata into the comments on
>>> columns and/or the table comment.  Is there a way to reliably read the
>>> comment from the column definition via reflection across all dialects that
>>> would support a comment at a column level?   Also, can I read the comment
>>> normally attached to the table definition?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Warwick
>

> If this metadata will be used just in sqlalchemy (or python libraries up in
> the stack), you could use the info parameter when creating columns.

OK - sounds promising.  What actually is the 'info' that it reads/writes?  i.e.
where is it getting it from/putting it in the DB? (Or does it only reside in
the Python code?)

Also, I'd like to +1 the task to reflect the comments with support for as many
dialects as possible :-)   We have developed a large platform using SQLA as the
ORM, and as part of the maintenance area we have a generic database manager
that is intended to allow maintenance, viewing, manual row insertion/deletion
etc (Like MySQL Workbench et al) that is 100% database agnostic.  Comments are
missing at the moment which is a shame.