This is the FAQ entry we've had in place for many years:

http://www.sqlalchemy.org/trac/wiki/FAQ#Isetthefoo_idattributeonmyinstanceto7butthefooattributeisstillNone-shouldntithaveloadedFoowithid7

But also, I've added a new recipe which shows how to get this behavior, and
also makes apparent some of the difficulties in establishing it completely
(requires a many-to-one be in place, accessing collections on the "reverse"
side can be tricky):

http://www.sqlalchemy.org/trac/wiki/UsageRecipes/ExpireRelationshipOnFKChange

It works just fine for your simple case here, we're just not in a position to
support this kind of thing in 100% of cases.