Hey Michael,

thanks for your fast response and especially the recipe. I completely
forgot the FAQ. Most of my questions are usually covered by the
documentation, and search engines seem to prefer StackOverflow et al.

On Mi, 2013-06-12 at 16:15 -0400, Michael Bayer wrote:
> This is the FAQ entry we've had in place for many years:
>
> http://www.sqlalchemy.org/trac/wiki/FAQ#Isetthefoo_idattributeonmyinstanceto7butthefooattributeisstillNone-shouldntithaveloadedFoowithid7
>
> But also, I've added a new recipe which shows how to get this behavior, and
> also makes apparent some of the difficulties in establishing it completely
> (requires a many-to-one be in place, accessing collections on the "reverse"
> side can be tricky):
>
> http://www.sqlalchemy.org/trac/wiki/UsageRecipes/ExpireRelationshipOnFKChange

The FAQ and recipe state that recommended use is to set the relationship
property instead of settings its underlying column -- and this what I
usually do. When I ran into this, I used the 'onupdate' column parameter
with a python function to set a 'last modified by' attribute. Doing an
'onupdate' on the relation does not seem to be easily accessible through
a parameter, although I'm certain it's possible hooking into the right
event.

For now, I'll go with a scoped version of your recipe. Thanks a lot!

Robert