Are you doing any relationship assignments in the User constructor? Because if the assigned object is in a session the User will also be put in the same one automatically. Otherwise the default behaviour is exactly what you expect. If you do a: print session.new, you should not see anything in there. Also, you might want to read up on the object states in the docs. A standard object is first in "detached state".

Cheers

Sebastian