On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 7:32 PM, kris <kkvilek...@gmail.com> wrote:

> We are running a replicated (multiple machines behind ngnix) Turbogears
> 2.1.5 App With SA 0.7.8 and postgres 8.4
>
> After a lot of recent usage the system ground to halt and we are receiving
> (OperationalError) FATAL: sorry, too many clients already
>
> while trying to any DBSession.query.
>
> Any ideas what could cause this?

As the message says, you have too many open connections.

When you have multiple machines, you must either provision your
postgres to be able to handle a full connection pool (max_overflow
preferrably, pool_size at least) for each nginx worker for each
machine, or have SQLA connect to a pgbouncer that will do the shared
pooling for you.