On Thursday, July 25, 2013 4:12:50 PM UTC-7, Klauss wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 7:58 PM, kris <kkvil...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
> wrote:
> >
> > My postgres.conf has a parameter  max_connections = 100
>
> That's not only the default, but it's also not really recommended to
> push it much higher, so only do so if you really need a big pool on
> each machine, and if you're sure that pool will be mostly idle all of
> the time.

Hmm.. I just bumped it 200 and modified the shared_buffers to be 32MB

> > I was led to believe the SA would manage pool of connections
> > to some good default
> > (
> http://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/rel_0_7/core/pooling.html?highlight=connection%20pool),
>

> > but couldn't find the default values?  Just so I can relate the two
> figures
> > (SA Pool parameters and PG max_connections)
>
> pool_size, see create_engine[0], the default is 5
>
> Thanks..

> > Also Is there a good way to get it too close some idle connections?
>
> Yes, decrease pool_size. Just how many workers do you have? With the
> defaults, you'd need a little under 20 workers to start getting those
> errors.

Here's the weird bit.. I have 2 remote machine  and  local access.. after
some
light usage I already see 9 Idle connections from the local machine and a
few from the other machines.

It may actually be that we are using uWSGI, each which has 8 workers
configured, so really I have 24 workers
already.

> With that many workers, your only real solution is to install a
> pgbouncer to manage those connections globally. SQLA cannot manage a
> pool of connections across workers, only a shared pool (pgbouncer) can
> do that. SQLA's pool is local to each process (worker).

Thanks for the help.. I will check out pgbouncer at this point.