Thanks Michael

> a column_property() against a SQL expression by definition is not
> writable.  Your table doesn't have a CAST trigger inside of it for when an
> "int" is written to it that would convert it back to a string.
> in this case since "data" is already loaded fully as a single column you
> might as well just use a hybrid.

I see what you mean about column_property not being writable. In my actual
application I won't be loading the whole 'data'; what I am really trying to
do is make a sort of psuedo-column so that the SQL that gets generated is
something like

SELECT id, data->foo AS foo FROM thing

And 'foo' gets mapped as if it were a normal column so it's update-able
too. I can deal with the casting on top of that I think.

Does that make any sense? Perhaps I am trying to be too much of an
Alchemist for my own good here :)

All the best,

Philip