On Saturday 07 December 2013 06:32 AM, Michael Bayer wrote:
[...]
OK more or less that, please review my commit at
https://github.com/zzzeek/sqlalchemy/commit/d1cc78479d988bd9acbcf395483d2130b0873b1c
which moves handling of “overflow” into _inc_overflow() and
_dec_overflow() methods - the handling of the _overflow_lock is local
to those methods.  The _do_get() method is a lot easier to read now.
Also added the existing test plus a new one to check the “decrement
overflow on connection failed”.

thanks all for the help on this one.

I have just tested out the tip at https://github.com/zzzeek/sqlalchemy.git and I confirm that the problem has been fixed for my application (I manually used "nc -v -l" instead of MySQL to test this).

As for my production setup which is using SQLAlchemy 0.7, I am currently setting max_overflow=-1 to bypass locking. It might be worthwhile to apply the fix in 0.8 series if next Ubuntu LTS (and possibly other distros) is going to have a 0.8 version.

My thanks to everyone for a quick response and an awesome community.

--
Sunil