On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 4:29 PM, Rick Otten <rottenwindf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Claudio - I'll mull over the pros and cons of explicitly managing the
> connections to prepare the statements vs just being patient while the job
> runs vs gains I might achieve elsewhere.

Remember, prepared statements will only help if planning time is a
considerable fraction of execution time. The queries in need of this
would be complex. Try to explain analyze the queries you repeatedly
execute to see whether preparing them is worth the hassle. I don't
remember which version of postgres introduced planning time in the
explain, but if you don't have it, just take the difference between
the reported execution time and what you time from your end, save
network latency that should be equal to what you'd save by preparing.