On 7/9/14, 3:41 PM, Paul Molodowitch wrote:
> I just ran into the same problem, using python 2.6 + sqlalchemy 0.9.4
> / 0.9.6 + MySQL.
>
> The problem in my case IS definitely related to python 2.6 -
> basically, python 2.6 doesn't allow unicode keywords, while 2.7 does.
> Ie, if you do this:
>
>     def foo(**kwargs):
>         print kwargs
>     foo(**{u'thing':1})
>

> ...it will work in 2.7, but give this error in 2.6:
>
>     TypeError: foo() keywords must be strings
>

> For reference, these were the table.dialect_kwargs.keys() that were
> making trouble in 2.6:
>
>     [u'mysql_comment', u'mysql_engine', u'mysql_default charset']
>

> Fine, except for the fact that they're unicode...
OK but this is not a codepath within SQLAlchemy's MySQL reflection
code.   I'm PDBing right now into 0.9, using py2.6 + use_unicode=1; the
reflected table options are sent directly into table.kwargs, not using
the constructor or any **kw system.  the tests pass, and the keys are
coming back as u''.

if you can show me where table.kwargs gets used implicitly as a
constructor arg i can fix that.