Thank you Michael.

auto_covert_lobs : I ran with all three possible values: True, False, and
without supplying it. The results are the same.

The original query is a bit more complicated than the example I gave, and
is built dynamically. But I am using sqlalchemy select, and not a plain
string. Query is of object type "sqlalchemy.select.sql.selectable.Select"
(Or "sqlalchemy.sql.expression.Select"?), if it helps.

Here is what the query object value looks like:
SELECT CAST(contract_id AS FLOAT) AS contract_id, cancel_dt AS cancel_dt,
cancellation_obj AS cancellation_obj FROM contract_cancellation WHERE
updated_ts BETWEEN :updated_ts_1 AND :updated_ts_2

Let me try calling value().

Thanks
GP