That's what I thought, and it works, but there seems to be a difference in
how resultset is handled when you select LOB column.

Here is a basic script, that selects record from a source table which has
*36* rows. It fetches *10* records at a time.

from sqlalchemy import Table, select, create_engine, MetaData

engine = create_engine('oracle+cx_oracle://xxx:yyy@zzz')
conn = engine.connect()
metadata = MetaData()
metadata.bind = conn

source_table = Table('contract_cancellation_test', metadata, autoload=True)
target_table = Table('contract_cancellation_test_s', metadata, autoload=True
)

# Query 1 : without selecting LOB  : Works fine
#select_query = select([source_table.c.contract_id,
source_table.c.cancel_dt])

# Query 2 : selecting canellation_quote LOB column : Fails in last
fetchmany because query_rs is closed
select_query = select([source_table.c.contract_id, source_table.c.cancel_dt,
source_table.c.cancellation_obj])

query_rs = conn.execute(select_query)
print("executing select")

loop_count = 1
while True:
    rows = query_rs.fetchmany(size=10)
    if not rows:  # we are done if result set list is empty
        query_rs.close()
        break
    row_dict = [dict(l_row) for l_row in rows]
    insert_target_stmt = target_table.insert()
    print("inserting for loop = {}".format(str(loop_count)))
    insert_target_stmt.execute(row_dict)
    loop_count += 1

print("done")
conn.close()

Query 1 does not have LOB type column, and it works fine. Query 2 has LOB
type column in and it fails in fetchmany() call after last set is retrieved.

Here is the output:

----- results query 1 -----

executing select
inserting for loop = 1
inserting for loop = 2
inserting for loop = 3
inserting for loop = 4
done

----- results query 1 -----

executing select
inserting for loop = 1
inserting for loop = 2
inserting for loop = 3
inserting for loop = 4
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File
"/home/xxx/.local/lib/python3.4/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/result.py",
line 733, in _fetchone_impl
    return self.cursor.fetchone()
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'fetchone'

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/xxx/myprojects/python/sync/test_lob_1.py", line 23, in
<module>
    rows = query_rs.fetchmany(size=10)
  File
"/home/xxx/.local/lib/python3.4/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/result.py",
line 759, in _non_result
    raise exc.ResourceClosedError("This result object is closed.")
sqlalchemy.exc.ResourceClosedError: This result object is closed.

As long as I can check that resultset is empty and break from the loop, I
am fine. Any better way of handling this?

Thanks
GP