On 4/20/15 8:09 AM, Guido Winkelmann wrote:
Hi,

Have there been any non-backwards-compatible changes in SQLAlchemy 1.0 compared to 0.9.9?
Most behavioral changes are listed out at http://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/rel_1_0/changelog/migration_10.html; I've urged everyone to please read through this document. None of the behavioral changes are "backwards incompatible" at face value, however, the nature of SQLAlchemy is necessarily one where there's lots of behaviors that applications can find themselves relying upon, and when we improve these behaviors, applications which relied upon bugs, inconsistencies, or things that just happened to work a certain way can break when we make things more consistent or apply definitions to behaviors that were previously not defined.

There have also been five beta releases put out. In particular the NEVER_SET issue you are receiving is a known regression that is now fixed, but unfortunately not enough people were interested in trying out any of these five beta releases in order to find this fairly common condition, so it is only fixed for 1.0.1.

If you compare the builds on sqlite with those MySQL/PostgreSQL, you will see there are two different, seemingly unrelated things going wrong:

On sqlite, drop_all() seems to fail to get the order of table drops right, and consequently runs into a referential integrity error.
If you can post a reproducible issue, that's what I can work with. There are changes to how tables are sorted in the absence of foreign key dependency, where this ordering was previously undefined, it is now determinstic; see http://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/latest/changelog/changelog_10.html#change-aab332eedafc8e090f42b89ac7a67e6c.

On MySQL/PostgreSQL, this line fails:

Apparently, sqlalchemy will use "symbol('NEVER_SET')" where the id of the model used for filtering should be.

this is a known regression and is fixed in 1.0.1: http://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/latest/changelog/changelog_10.html#change-1.0.1

if you can confirm with current master that this is fixed I can release today or tomorrow as this particular regression is fairly severe.