Thanks Michael! it was the lack of a primary key. I see references to it
now that I know what to look for
- a very interesting
explanation:
http://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/latest/faq/ormconfiguration.html#how-do-i-map-a-table-that-has-no-primary-key
-
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23765681/sqlalchemy-automap-does-not-create-class-for-tables-without-primary-key

It looks like there's no mention of this requirement in the automap
documentation page
though: http://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/latest/orm/extensions/automap.html.
I'd be happy to add a brief note about it and submit a pull request if
you'd like.

Sam