The actual create was done with all lowercase:

CREATE TABLE test_table (
             ->        batch_id        NUMBER(10,0)        NOT NULL,
             ->        batch_type      NUMBER(2,0)         NOT NULL,
             ->        scheduled_date  DATE                NOT NULL,
             ->        status          NUMBER(1,0)         NOT NULL,
             ->        emp_id          NUMBER(10,0)        NOT NULL,
             ->        bill_per        NUMBER(6,0)         NOT NULL,
             ->        label           VARCHAR2(128)       NOT NULL,
             ->        log_file        VARCHAR2(256),
             ->        debug_file      VARCHAR2(256),
             ->        completed_date  DATE,
             ->        PRIMARY KEY (batch_id)
             -> );

So the use of lower case in my table description should work.

To test it I changed my table hand definition to a reflection and printed
out column names:
t_test_table = Table('test_table', metadata, autoload=True,
autoload_with=engine)
print([ c.name for c in t_test_table.columns ])

regardless of True/False on the create_engine call for case_sensitive it
returned:

['batch_id', 'batch_type', 'scheduled_date', 'status', 'emp_id',
'bill_per', 'label', 'log_file', 'debug_file', 'completed_date']

Additionally, the insert still failed the exact same way.