I've seen a couple of issues regarding mssql and drivers handling of
strings but I haven't been able to resolve my problem.

I have a flask app with flask-sqlalchemy models defined and a simple query
is throwing the above complaint about decoding the string.

My connection string:

mssql+pyodbc://[...]/[...]?trusted_connection=yes&charset=utf8&deprecate_large_types=True

Which is given to the SQLAlchemy class instance db after the initialization of
the app with:

db.init_app(app)

The offending model:

class Annotations(db.Model):
    id = db.Column(db.Integer, primary_key=True)
    creation_date = db.Column(db.DateTime, default=datetime.datetime.now)
    created_by = db.Column(db.String, nullable=False)
    annotation = db.Column(sqlalchemy.Unicode, nullable=False)
    annotation_type_id = db.Column(db.Integer,
db.ForeignKey('AnnotationTypes.id'))

The query:

db.session.query(Annotations.annotation).all()

I've replaced the original column type db.String with sqlalchemy.Unicode on the
field that throws the error as per an earlier question on this list but it
hasn't resolved the problem.

Could someone offer any pointers?

Thanks,