On Monday, April 4, 2016 at 11:16:56 PM UTC-4, Mike Bayer wrote:

> i think the problem is that if you aren't nesting the JOIN and instead
> doing an implicit join, then things like joined eager loading don't work
> out as well.  There's no subqueries in your primaryjoin I doubt there's
> a difference in speed.

Well, I also haven't had the "a ha!" moment where I fully understand this
bit of sqlalchemy.

This has to do with the correlated subquery you suggested the other day.
 This "sort of works", except it's not returning the right data set all the
time (if at all).

I think a large portion is that I haven't figured out how to properly join
multiple tables in `core`.

I can join 2 tables and do a `select_from`, but haven't managed to figure
out how to join more tables into that - everything I've tried has returned
the wrong object type