three people chimed in on this thread in 20 minutes. Surely some work can be done amongst those interested parties (share email addresses! get on irc!) to try to get this working that I can just review and merge ? :)

On 04/13/2016 07:57 AM, David Moore wrote:

    *From: *"Piotr Dobrogost" <p...@2016.groups.google.dobrogost.net>
    *To: *"sqlalchemy" <sqlalchemy@googlegroups.com>
    *Sent: *Wednesday, April 13, 2016 1:50:19 PM
    *Subject: *Re: [sqlalchemy] Support for Oracle 12c auto increment
    (IDENTITY) columns?

    Mike,

    Thanks for your reply!

    On Wednesday, April 13, 2016 at 1:15:32 PM UTC+2, Mike Bayer wrote:

        We've not started supporting new oracle 12c features as of yet,
        in this case it might be possible to get it working with some
        dialect flags since we already use "returning" to get at the
        newly generated primary key, although testing would be needed
        and other assumptions in the dialect might get in the way.

    Which flags do you have in mind? Looking at
    http://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/latest/dialects/oracle.html I don't
    see anything which might be useful to make it work.

    I was surprised Oracle needs different syntax with explicit sequence
    in SA. Having one syntax for auto increment column (primary key)
    across all backends seems like very important feature to have.  What
    is the reason there's no Oracle dialect option to generate and use
    suitable sequence for such column? Is there some recipe solving this
    problem?

    Regards,
    Piotr Dobrogost

 From the license under which you can use this
(http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/licenses/standard-license-152015.html):

*License Rights and Restrictions *
Oracle grants You a nonexclusive, nontransferable, limited license to
internally use the Programs, subject to the restrictions stated in this
Agreement, only for the purpose of developing, testing, prototyping, and
demonstrating Your application and only as long as Your application has
not been used for any data processing, business, commercial, or
production purposes, and not for any other purpose.

------

I suspect you would not be able to use this for developing and testing
sqlalchemy without breaking those terms.  Oracle can get really nasty
about using Developer Days when they think you've broken this agreement.

regards,

Dave Moore