thanks for the tip ..
it is working now like this:

on the windows box with ip 10.42.0.150 the path to the database is:
c:\Users\elvis\Documents\VAS.fdb

# using fdb only
con = fdb.connect(dsn='10.42.0.150:/Users/elvis/Documents/VAS.fdb', user='sysdba', password='thekey')
# using sa
engine = sa.create_engine('firebird+fdb://SYSDBA:thekey@10.42.0.150:3050/Users/elvis/Documents/VAS.fdb')

in both cases the port is not needed, but can be used.

robert