On 09/16/2016 12:57 PM, Alex Grönholm wrote:
I'm attempting to do a multi-table delete against PostgreSQL (psycopg2) with
the following query:

    session.query(ProductionItem).\
        filter(Project.id == ProductionItem.project_id,

               Project.code.in_(projects),

               ProductionItem.external_id.is_(None)).\

    delete(synchronize_session=False)

But it produces incorrect SQL. PostgreSQL requires the following syntax for
this query:

    DELETE FROM production_items USING projects WHERE
production_items.project_id = project.id AND project.code IN (...) AND
production_items.external_id IS NONE

DELETE USING is not supported right now. I would suggest textual SQL or using a correlated subquery here.

Instead, I get this:

    DELETE FROM production_items WHERE production_items.project_id = project.id
AND project.code IN (...) AND production_items.external_id IS NONE

At which point PG complains:

    sqlalchemy.exc.ProgrammingError: (psycopg2.ProgrammingError) missing FROM-clause
entry for table "projects"

From initial research this seems like a missing feature. Would it be
possible to add this to the postgresql dialect somehow? I might be
willing to contribute the code in that case.