Thank you both Jonathan and Kirk for your helpful comments. I am leaning
more and more towards using a versioning/history solution. If I can figure
out a way to incorporate a approved flag into the history tables produced
by something like SQLAlchemy-Continuum, it should meet all the requirements
and provide additional functionality for 'free'