On Fri, Jun 21, 2019, at 2:14 AM, Chris Withers wrote:

> >> you would need to change its class, or replace it with a new object of
> >> the correct class. in both cases you probably need to pull the object
> >> out of the Session and put it in again. if you are making a new
> >> object, you would use make_transient_to_detached() to give the object
> >> a persistent primary key identity then use session.add() to put it
> >> back in again:
> >>
> >> https://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/13/orm/session_api.html?highlight=make_transient#sqlalchemy.orm.session.make_transient_to_detached
> >>
> >> if you are doing "obj.__class__ = newclass", you probably need to do
> >> the same thing plus more because the identity key needs to have the
> >> new class in it, so you could make_transient() to erase the old
> >> identity key and then make_transient_to_detached() to give it back a
> >> new identity key, then session.add() it.
> >>
> >> in both of *those* cases, the history of the object is reset to
> >> "clean", so anything you actually want to persist on the object needs
> >> to be applied after you've recreated it as a new class with a new
> >> identity key.
> >>
> >> still another way, that would not reset the history, you can also
> >> manipulate state.key directly to have the correct identity key and
> >> then replace the object, e.g.
> >>
> >> session.expunge(obj)
> >> obj.__class__ = newclass
> >> obj.polymorphic_identity = 'new_identity'
> >> inspect(obj).key = sqlalchemy.orm.identity_key(instance=obj)
> >> session.add(obj)
> >>
> >> I'd probably want to make a new object and not change __class__,
> >> because changing __class__ in the general case indicates you're going
> >> to have an object where its __dict__ can be in an invalid state vs.
> >> what the class expects.
>
> Yikes, that escalated quickly.
>
> It probably makes sense just to lose the polymorphic-ness in this case,
> I'm not getting enough from it to make the above sensible...

something that is changing is likely not a good candidate for polymorphic
identity. That said, you can still have different classes for your "status' if
you map the "status" distinctly into a lookup table, and then have your primary
object refer to that "status" with a many-to-one relationship. Or you could use
an enumeration class with the Enum datatype.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sqlalchemy/d0cb6b5f-d0cb-465d-b3f9-929eca8c303e%40www.fastmail.com.