"could not connect" means your server is unreachable from a network standpoint.
You want to make sure the server is running and that it is routable over the
network you are trying to connect from.

in an HA scenario, depending on what software is in use and how it does
switchover, there can be long network lags, such as if it is moving a VIP from
one machine to another. You'd want to be using a proxy server such as HAProxy
or PGBouncer rather than relying upon changing network routing.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sqlalchemy/78c2b7d9-32a2-4ffa-9c46-f746f5206335%40www.fastmail.com.