We're supporting both Postgres and SQLite in our application.  For the most
part, sticking close to ANSI has made this pretty seamless.  However, there
have been occasions where we want to write either DDL or DML in a
dialect-specific way.

For column data, we want to enable the use of JSON.  However, when on
Postgres we'd like to use JSONB, but when on SQLite we'd use their JSON1
extension.  The generic JSON type provided by sqlalchemy defaults to the
postgres JSON type when on postgres.  How can we get it to default to JSONB
instead?  Using dialect-specific column types in the mapper is a
non-starter, because a mapped class (or Core table) may have to work with
both a Postgres connection and an SQLite connection in the same program.
We almost want to follow[1], except that I'm concerned that some of the
query syntax renderer might also be affected by switching to JSONB.

[1]:
https://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/14/core/compiler.html#changing-compilation-of-types

For DML there are a few cases where we'd like to use the
on_conflict_do_nothing syntax.  However, it isn't available as generic
syntax, only dialect-specific syntax.  It's not clear how query-generating
code can figure out which syntax to use given only a connection.  SQA has
some support for adding text() to larger queries, but this is a modifier
that doesn't clearly fit with the other generative methods that accept text
arguments.  Is there a way to hack on some extra text into the
_post_values_clause that will be supported into the future?

Sincerely,
--
Jonathan Brandmeyer
PlanetiQ