The solution that finally worked for me is:

*from sqlalchemy import extract         #....    monthly_events =
current_user.followed_events().filter(Event.event_date <
datetime.today().date()).filter(extract('month', Event.event_date) ==
datetime.today().month)).order_by(Event.timestamp.desc())    #...*

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sqlalchemy/CAJiyv_1-P8mALb_uLk1fKqW%2BvLG7yYOTjPrP9PNEm%2BZdn2QEfA%40mail.gmail.com.