Avner Levy wrote:

We have just finished testing the same scenario with MySql at amazingly they continued to insert 1500-3000 rows per second even when the database had 60,000,000 records. I don't know how this magic is done...

Nor do I. If anybody can clue me in, I would appreciate it. I suspect the secret must be in the file format for their indices. Does anybody have any idea what that format is? Or how indices work in MySQL?

FWIW: Big changes are looming on the horizon for SQLite.  The format
of indices will probably have to change at some point in the future
in order to accomodate BLOBs.  This will result in an an incompatible
file format change (version 3.0.0).  The change is not imminent
(think summer of 2004) nor inevitable.  But if other changes could
be made at the same time to support faster inserts of non-localized
data, the transition from 2.x.x to 3.x.x would be a good time to toss
them in.

--
D. Richard Hipp -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- 704.948.4565