> How old is 2.5.6 version?

july 7. 2002
http://www.sqlite.org/cvstrac/timeline?d=3000&e=2004-Feb-07&c=0&px=&s=0&dm=1&dt=1&x=1&m=1

i'm just wondering what strategy will be if database format changes in the
future, do we depend on external utility then?

i think from the users point of view, the key of a database is the data, not
the engine.

normally i would not have problems with it, it's just that sqlite is not
comparable to other db environments, since it is embedded only. and that's
why it should be as maintaince-free as possible imo. there may be
environments where users are not able to run conversion tools at all (php &
3rd party hosting for example).

same for people distributing applications that use sqlite. not all users are
programmers or gurus, and why put extra work to them.

i agree so far that in 2002 sqlite may have been not that populair as it is
now. but the lifetime cycle of an application may well be longer than 1 1/2
year..

only point for stripping is made by eno, who sais it may be dangerous.

richard, do you really bump in that much trouble leaving the code in?