On 7 Feb 2004 at 12:10, Rene wrote:

> > How old is 2.5.6 version?
>
> july 7. 2002
> http://www.sqlite.org/cvstrac/timeline?d=3000&e=2004-Feb-07&c=0&px=&s=0&dm=1&dt=1&x=1&m=1
>
> i'm just wondering what strategy will be if database format changes in the
> future, do we depend on external utility then?

I think the answer should be 'yes'.  There are lots of ways you can move
a DB from one engine to another, but if you have an 'orphaned' DB, then
you're just out of luck, and we can't all have the luxury of storing a
complete text-format data dump of our database around.

I'm concerned about 'legacy' databases -- if/when the sysadmins update
the SQLite package, all of my apps will die.  But worse: some of my very
infrequently used DBs [e.g., an archived log DB from past years] will
become irretrievably dead.

so I think, just as Word and Word Perfect and Excel and other such apps
do, I really think that SQLite should have available 'helper' apps
that'll be able to convert just about ANY old DB format to whatever-is-
current.

I agree, that the DB engine, itself, should *NOT* be larded up with all
of that kind of stuff: keep it lean and mean.  But *do* avoid orphaning
our old data...

  /Bernie\

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]     Pearisburg, VA