Thanks for your reply...
I havent found any reference to this in the doco so Im not sure how any
of this might work..

So what you are saying is that if I recreate the table I can insert all
the old values back into the newly created table (including the primary
key values) and the primary key column wont complain? That's a bit
scary!

Even if this is true what happens when I next insert a value (normally
without specifying the primary key field) - does it just pick up the
latest?

I guess I will have to try this but it all sounds a little confusing...

Any one tried this?