My guess is that very few people care about this problem, but on the "Classic" versions of Mac OS (basically 8 and 9), you can't have file names longer than 31 characters. This becomes a problem when you have a database file name that is very long, but not longer than 31 characters. When you try to update such a database file, SQLite needs to create a journal file and it does that by creating a new file with the name of the database file plus "-journal", which can end up exceeding the 31 character limit. In that case, the journal file fails to be created and the entire update procedure fails as well. I don't know what the solution to this is. One idea I had was to conditionally shorten the journal file's suffix to simply "-j". That doesn't really solve the problem, but it might make things a little better. Would such a change be dangerous? Is there some chance that this would interact badly with another version of SQLite that hadn't made such a change?

Thanks for any advice.