On May 2, 2004, at 4:07 PM, Kurt Welgehausen wrote:

FROM (((((contacts AS c LEFT JOIN ...

This has come up several times on this list. This behavior is entirely consistent with the grammar for select statements given in lang.html. The (partial) syntax is "FROM table-list"; "FROM (table-list)" is not allowed. I believe this also agrees with the SQL92 std.

Interesting. I find it difficult to imagine any good reason to not allow parens as they improve readability. Additionally, parens are the only way _I_ find it easy to mentally parse SQL92 type FROM .... JOIN .... type statements, each join becoming like a table and then joined to the next table. Unless I decide to start using Oracle type syntax by putting my join logic in my constraint and using the (+) method, I find myself fairly handicapped by not being able to use parens in a FROM clause. Oh well...