On May 2, 2004, at 6:52 PM, Kurt Welgehausen wrote:

... handicapped by not being able to use parens in a FROM clause.

It's not that you can't use parens anywhere in a FROM clause; you just can't have the entire table-list enclosed in parens. You can still do something like

select * from (t1 left join t2 on ...) join t3 on ...

Thanks Kurt, for explaining this patiently. I am looking at my SQL statement...

..
FROM (((((contacts AS c LEFT JOIN contacts_contacttypes AS cct ON
c.contact_id = cct.contact_id) LEFT JOIN cities AS ci ON c.city_id =
ci.city_id) LEFT JOIN contacttypes AS ct ON cct.contacttype_id =
ct.contacttype_id) LEFT JOIN orgs AS o ON c.org_id = o.org_id) LEFT JOIN
orgtypes AS ot ON o.orgtype_id = ot.orgtype_id) LEFT JOIN orgsubtypes AS
ost ON o.orgsubtype_id = ost.orgsubtype_id

As far as I can see, I don't have the entire table list in parens... it is not different from what you are suggesting, and yet, it does not work. SQLite croaks saying error at (. Am I seeing things differently?