From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, June 04, 2004 1:59 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [sqlite] re: academic software licensing (delphi)

"you get to use all of the great database functionality that Borland's VCL
offer"

unless of course you think borland's data-aware components aren't so great..
imho, they are just unnecessary overhead, making things more complex than
they should and limit you in usage of features that makes particulair sql
databases so great.
i agree that for vcl apps they may be ok, but as soon as 95% of your apps
database interventions has nothing to do with user interaction, it is just a
waist of resources and lines of code.

there are several wrappers for sqlite available for delphi, which indeed may
take some initial learning time instead of dropping some components on a
form, but the results are there. i use sqlite in some dll's for example, i
must not even think about having clients to install the BDE. in one app i
need every bit of speed sqlite can offer, and even that is hardly enough
(did some caching where possible, but even then sqlite is very rapidly a lot
faster than your own non-indexed lookup table)..

it entirely depends on the type of app you build, but even where i have
user-forms filling some database content, i prefer to do it manually because
you are far more flexible, and most of the time there are special conditions
or checks that would be impossible (or very tough) to implement if all
controls were data-aware.

but, even if you favour data-aware, there is no need at all to use delphi or
kylix professional editions. ZEOS components let you have data-aware (and
borland-compatible) components that will work in the personal editions. I
did not verify if they implement sqlite yet, but i bet they did and else
they probably will do so soon.

just my 2 cents..

rene

Op vrijdag, juni 4. 2004 17:50:01 schreef "Shawn Anderson"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> :