Richard Kuo wrote:

I suspect some unnecessary disk access has to be the problem...despite the small amount of new guide information being queried out, disk bytes read is several times higher than with MS access and scrolling back over previously accessed areas of data is visibly faster...indicating that the disk cache is very favorably impacting the speed of the queries.

If each of your rows contains 2K of data, that means each database entry is using about 2 overflow pages. You can change this by increasing the page size. Try recompiling SQLite after changing the SQLITE_PAGE_SIZE macro to 16384.

You might also trying switching to SQLite version 3.0.0 which will be
released tomorrow.

Also tomorrow, I will be making available a database analysis tool
for version 2.8 databases that will help us to better understand
how information is stored on disk for your database, and possibly
provide some clues about why you are having problems.

--
D. Richard Hipp -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- 704.948.4565