Do the rumors apply to 64-bit Linux or do they apply
elsewhere?  I can give you access to either my 64-bit
Fedora Core 2 desktop (self-built) or Fedora Core 2
laptop (eMachines M6805) and I have access to an Apple
G5 (unfortunately I can't give you access to it).  I
remember trying to compile 2.8/3.0 on Fedora and I
believe they failed.  Fedora seems to have a screwy
/usr/include setup (also breaks Mozilla JavaScript
engine, SpiderMonkey).

By chance, the M6805 is kind of up for sale (only
about 4 months old; looking to replace it with an
Athlon64 laptop with an nVidia graphics chip).  I'd
make it cheap for you Richard, or anybody else, if
you're interested.

Louis