Low, indeed! It amazes me how ordinary citizens are always ready to jump in with inane remarks like that.

   As it turns out, LIKE is a lot smarter than I thought, e.g. this works:

   WHERE FLAGS LIKE '% % 1 %'

As long as there are at least 3 blanks in each FLAGS value. I suspect that it would also find records where the 4th word was '1', but that will not be possible in my situation.

-R.