julien wrote:
I put this question because compatibility between SQLite2 and SQLite3 seems poor.

Poor? More like non-existent. SQLite2 and SQLite3 have a very similar design but both the interface and the underlying file format are quite different and imcompatible.

Derrell Lipman wrote:

The plan _is_ to integrate SQLite3. There are two of us who may integrate it, depending on availability and need. There's no schedule for when it will be completed, but it is reasonably high on some of our priority lists.

SQLite3 is designed so that it can be statically linked into the same executable as SQLite2. One plan for PHP might be to link in both libraries. When opening an existing database, check the header and use either the SQLite2 or the SQLite3 library depending on what kind of database it is. Create new databases as SQLite3. The scripting interface would be the same and the user would never know the difference. In this way, you preserve backwards compatibility with existing SQLite2 database files while at the same time taking advantage of new SQLite3 features.

--
D. Richard Hipp -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- 704.948.4565