new API function.  But I am loath to add new API functions without
good reason and I do not consider performance optimization of an
exception condition a good reason.  So you are going to have to
argue very hard to get such a thing implemented.

My motivation isn't based on performance, but on correctness. If the function already did sqlite3_result_error in step, it is going to be somewhat upset at having to give a value anyway in final.

It may also be the case that some functions take a lot of time
to calculate their final results and can't do so step by step,
although I can't think of any examples :-)

I am doing an enhanced Python wrapper and want to make user functions
written in Python seem as natural as possible.  Performance will matter
somewhat less :-)

Roger