Markus Oliver Junginger wrote:
Thanks for the answers so far; there have been some interesting suggestions ( for example, I didn't know about the SQLITE_OMIT).

Still, I would like to know more about my main concern - memory consumption. Somewhere I read V2.8 holds the first 240 bytes or so of each row in memory, while V3.0 holds more than 1000 bytes per row cached. If that's true, it would be something I worry about.

Not true. V2.8 stores the first 240 or so bytes of data for each row on a single disk page and the rest on overflow pages. V3.0 stores up to about 1000 bytes on a single disk page before overflowing. This has nothing to do with memory consumption.

The memory usage of V2.8 and V3.0 is similar for a similar sized
database.  Because V3.0 databases are usually much smaller, that
means V3.0 uses less memory for the same amount of data.

--
D. Richard Hipp -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- 704.948.4565