I was guessing that the OP means the option for runtime library.
But the question wasn't very precise.

If it's really about the choice of runtime library, then you don't have to use "multithreaded dll". You can any version of the runtime. The only thing you should do is to select the same version for all modules (the EXE or DLL project plus all static libraries linked into it); if you're linking with another DLL, it doesn't matter which version that DLL is using.

However, it is advisable to always use either "multithreaded" or "multithreaded dll" when creating DLL projects. In an application it's your choice whether you use single threading or multithreading, but if you're writing a DLL that may be used by others, you should make sure that it uses the multithreading safe version of the C runtime, because you don't know whether the applications using your DLL are single- or multi-threaded.

Rolf

Keith Herold wrote:

In VS 6, we generally find that you need to compile everything with
Multithreaded-dll, even the libraries, or you get very strange error
messages as the compiler tries to link with conflicting run-time
libraries.

--Keith

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 20:54:13 +0100, Rolf Schaeuble