Eli,

I'd highly recommend Python.  I've used Perl, PHP and Python.  Python is
hands-down the winner.  After getting ahold of the elegance of Python, PHP
feels like a hack job.  Perl is "executable line noise".  Python is very
mature and very nice.  It has a far cleaner implementation of just about
everything, especially OO than Perl and _way_ better than PHP. I would also
avoid Microsoft specific technology like the plague.

APSW is not DBAPI compliant but it's close enough that migrating to a bigger
database (PostgreSQL, _not_ MySQL!) would not be difficult at all.  APSW is
very nice.  I've used it and PySQLite and I'd recommend APSW.  It's
"thinner".

You should look at www.cherrypy.org for a nice little web server written in
Python to get you going. It's really slick.  Check out Snakelets also
(http://snakelets.sourceforge.net).  I prefer CherryPy because Snakelets has
a templating language that is too-closely bound to the web server.  CherryPy
2.0 (beta currently but works well) unbound the templating language for the
2.0 release so you can use your own.  I built my own templating language
because I couldn't find one that I like out there.  With Python you do have a
LOT to choose from so it can be daunting.

If you have experience with PHP then you've learned how to embed source code
in HTML.  This is not a very good idea.  Separation of the logic and the
presentation make for a cleaner design in my opinion.  Some would debate this
but it's Ok if they're wrong! :)

I'll be happy to chat with you.  You can find me on Jabber at
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Cordially,
Scott